Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Woodworking with cedar

The straight grain and durability of cedar wood make it popular for building garden sheds and decks. While some people experience allergic reactions, such as skin irritation and breathing problems from cedar dust, the wood actually doesn’t require any finishing. It doesn’t take preservatives well, which is good. It means less chemicals will be around the house and less toxicants will influence the family. My friend shared his woodworking project

Why cedar is so popular for building garden sheds and decks.

My shed is almost done. We sheathed the structure of our garden shed with 1 x 6 tongue-and-groove cedar siding, which is naturally resistant to rot and insects. I plan to build a cedar deck next summer to match my backyard design with the shed. We built our combination shed on a 4-in.-thick concrete slab, which makes an extremely durable and weatherproof floor. Some people construct a wood-frame floor using pressure-treated 2 x 6 lumber and a plywood deck, and support the assembly on solid concrete blocks or pressure-treated 6 x 6 skids. Plywood is an option and I decided not to go with that. I like cedar wood. Probably  for being quite weak, it may be thought unsuitable for the small sections of shed design, but I prefer the durability of straight grain instead of fragile plywood for outdoor woodworking projects. Cedar wood is still kind of economical lumber available.
If you go with the slab, it's a good idea to hire an excavator and mason to have the job done right. I called and got a good deal from local construction.
There is a  basic detail wood plan to follow, what I had in my I Phone and always could look at it. I could increase it and see every detail, which is cool. I find digital woodworking to be a fun . Google Sketch is complicated for me. There are 3D Home Design Software what I plan to learn for my deck project next summer. I will use the same cedar wood, because it has a straight grain. It means that it is easy to use with limited risk of splintering. It is lightweight too. It seasons best when milled into thin boards and very stable once dry. Working with cedar was easy: it splits, glues, nails and screws well. Some woodworkers notice cedar wood can corrode metals. I am fully satisfied with my choice and I think it will fit good for my deck too, as it hardly needs any finishing being naturally durable.
del.icio.us Tags:
LiveJournal Tags:

No comments: